Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Ten Years of Awesomeness

Yes, it's been 10 years. Ten years since Kawada Mami has released her I've Sound debut song Kaze to Kimi wo Daite. Ten years of awesomeness there is in her anime songs and eroge themes alike. Today, Nov. 22, 2011, is Mami's 10th anniversary in the Japanese music industry! 

Now, looking back at her career for the past decade, Mami Kawada has undoubtedly rose to great heights, from just being a normal person in Sapporo to an artist well revered by people all over the world. However, the level of popularity she could have achieved in a span of 10 years should've been more drastic. Considering the themes she's done with Shakugan no Shana and To Aru Majutsu no Index, one would think that she should have landed a big gig by now. 

Still quite unprolific matched with pretty low sales, Mami remains low profile up until today. A non-mainstream artist in a non-mainstream recording label. I guess that's pretty common though in Japan, some artists retiring after years and still not getting enough popularity. But who the hell cares about popularity? Being popular is not the sole measure of an artist's capabilities.

Anyway, this day should be a happy day. Ten years. 85 songs. 10 singles. 3 albums. It's been a decade full of flavors. Rock, ballad, trance, techno, pop and even pseudo-denpa, she showed us all of it. Great improvements on her live performances and as of late, thank goodness she's been getting more live exposure.

Now, I wonder what's about to happen in the next 10 years or so. A change in label like KOTOKO? Independence from IVE? An early retirement? Well, whatever happens, I wish dear Mami all the best in her career. If you have a Twitter account, you may greet her there.

To end this post, I have here little creations of mine. I should have made a special one for this day... but oh well.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm very disappointed that Mami isn't as popular as she should be, considering that she's a great singer (but then again I have LiSA, KOTOKO and ClariS so I'm not that upset). Maybe she should leave I've Sound and sign up to maybe Warner or Lantis, and she'll become as popular as LiSA. Another way to raise her profile is if Key makes another game she will be the one to sing the opening. She should probably leave I've since, while Kazuya, Tomoyuki and Maiko are good composers, they aren't really willing to try new things. Geneon also isn't that good of a label really. One of my dreams is if she comes to the Philippines, perhaps as an invitation of a cos-con. That would be awesome! She can prove that it is more fun in the Philippines! Perhaps she can film a PV here? (after all, Serment's PV was filmed in the Czech Republic). Also, do you know the Filipino I've fan Fred? He's quite a big fan of I've, and I was able to contact him via e-mail last month. He's quite busy with his job right now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that quite well :)
      And we share those same sentiments. However, I kind of want her to leave I've too, but in some way, I don't... because I will miss her works with I've, just in case. Also, that is probably too much for Mami than how it was for KOTOKO, it can either break or further mold her career.

      And oh, I'm sorry for still not asking Mami on Twitter about her supposed visit here in the Philippines OTL I have to consult someone else first to construct the proper Japanese sentence for it. Anyway, it certainly would be great if she does come here, and like you, that is also my dream!

      Also, yes, I do know Fred. We've pretty much acquainted, well, on Facebook and Twitter. It sure is nice to meet more Filipino I've fans, isn't it? The only thing left for me is to meet them personally. ;)

      Delete
    2. Don't worry about it. She probably understands a little English (after all, she was able to cover DREAMS, and that cover came out quite nicely). Or you could just use Google Translate. A simple, even one or two sentence message would do.

      And yes, it would be great if the Filipino I've fans go somewhere and meet each other. Perhaps if there is an AFA Philippines? Or if KOTOKO or Mami have a concert here? We can always dream. 2NE1 came here a few years ago, Big Bang came this year, and PSY's coming next year, so hopefully, it won't be long before the invasion of the J-Pop stars.

      Delete